Saturday, May 26, 2012

Things


During the past two days we held a garage sale. 

We took in over five hundred dollars.
The photo above shows what remains to be donated after the sale.

People today own a lot of stuff.

What makes us want to accumulate so much?  When I was growing up I don't think there were climate-controlled storage units and container stores in every town.  When did we get to be a society that collects things and even hoards things?

When and why did things become so important?

Why do I feel so much better today, knowing that so much extra stuff is gone from my house?

Why do I feel cleansed after clearing out some clutter?

Oh, those profound life questions! 

I know for myself I grew up in the post-war era of the fifties when my parent's goal seemed to be giving my brothers and myself everything possible.  It was an admirable goal and a logical one from people who grew up during the Great Depression.  My mother was also a person who found joy in chronicling our life journey in photographs and with memorabilia, so not only did we acquire many things, we also kept every bit of history that we could, including napkins from our birthday parties and programs from dance recitals.

It was logical then, that when I was old enough to think for myself, I also wanted to acquire things and maintain the history.  I now have several collections and many many scrapbooks and photo albums.  Along with many Americans I also have rooms in my house that are not being used and numerous things that soon become redundant and irrelevant or are replaced due to the need for newer things and more innovative technology.

Now that I am in that magical medicare year--the year I turn 65--"things" are losing their appeal and relationships are by far the more important aspect of my life.  Thus, selling things the past few days was emotionally freeing and exquisitely exciting.  Well, perhaps I exaggerate, but my point is, I am glad that I am no longer attached to things in the same way I used to be, and I encourage you too, no matter what your age, to find more pleasure and satisfaction in people and relationships than in the things that money buys. 

The garage sale was only a step in the right direction for me.  I hope to continue to go through the things I have accumulated and keep clearing the clutter.  As I do so, I find satisfaction in the lessons learned along the journey.  Whether I have the answers to life's great questions or not, I am glad that I have learned that...

...the best things in life aren't things.

From a stitchery that hangs in my hallway:

My house is filled with objects dear
And memories of yesteryear
But treasured even more than these
Is love of friends and family


No comments:

Post a Comment