Thursday, February 25, 2016

Granddaughter



I have grandchildren who are living in my house. These children, living so close by, know me well and I know them.  We have a day to day rapport which runs deep.  I am able to delight in who they are as I know them so very well.  They will soon move a few miles away when their new house is ready but we will remain close and I will share in their lives as they grow to adulthood.  I will also be blessed to live in the same town with their new little cousin when he is born in just a couple of months.  I can't wait to enjoy those days of holding a newborn and then, as the years pass, truly knowing and enjoying this child is he grows and develops..

I also have grandchildren who live far away.  I only get a peek into their lives once in awhile. Recently I was blessed to spend two weeks with my youngest granddaughter and her two big brothers.

My little twenty month old toddler was shy at first, but a storybook soon enticed her onto my lap. Her warm little body and curly head were delicious to this grandma who had only known her as a baby. Now, going on two, this child had a real personality and I enjoyed each moment of getting acquainted.

Tenderhearted, sweet, gentle, beautiful, shy, smart, clever, darling, enchanting are all words which describe my little girl, Very quiet at first, I thought she had acquired little language but I was soon to be amazed that she could say almost anything she wanted. She made her thoughts and wishes known in a household of rough and tumble brothers, and even held the upper hand at times.

We bonded during our time together over toys and dolls, puzzles and books.  We bonded too sharing nursery songs.  This grandma sang and sang and also shared nursery videos on her phone.  "This Little Piggy" and "The Wheels on the Bus" helped connect the generations.  Her mommy was amazed at how much her baby learned from these songs. We had a great time and especially enjoyed those hours when we were alone together while big brothers were at school and mommy was at the gym. My baby got to know me and I got to know her.  

My little girl called me "Grandpa" which was yet another new name for this grandma. Believe me, I loved the name because it came from the lips of my darling little baby girl who I now knew just a little bit better.

I was indeed glad that my visit lasted over two weeks, because enough time passed that I got to see her true personality reveal itself.  But alas, the time was too short and "Grandpa and Grandpa" were on their way to new adventures and saying goodbye was indeed difficult. Now time and space separate us until the next reunion. My little girl will grow and change before we are together again, but hopefully a little bit of me remains with her and she knows how much I love her.

I cherish those moments we had together.  It's amazing how much a grandma's heart can hold!


No comments:

Post a Comment