Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Unknown


Walking along a sunlit forest path, you have no idea when a tree branch strewn across the path might knock you off your feet causing a painful sprain to your ankle or a scrape to your knee, or when storm clouds might suddenly fill the sky and burst forth with an unknown downpour drenching you.  Or even worse yet, one really doesn't know if a cliff awaits off to one side of the path and as your shoe hits loose rocks, you may completely lose your footing and tumble head over heals down a mountainside and find yourself trapped with a major injury or even worse.  On the other hand, one's journey through the forest may be refreshing to the body and soul, with beautiful vistas to be seen and contemplated. Or you might find a contentment of fulfilling exercise goals and spending quality time with someone special walking alongside you.  Perhaps, nature at it's best intrigues you and taking in plant and animal life gives you satisfaction.  Although you think you know where you are heading and what to expect, no one actually knows for certain where the path will lead or what obstacles might arise.  Oftentimes we cannot control the unknowns we come across.  Usually though we can control our response and learn from the adventure wherever it takes us.  We can also find joy where we least expect to find it.

One year ago this week I was at the airport waiting to embark on an amazing adventure.  I was taking an unaccompanied "path" to Japan, followed by a trip to Thailand and Vietnam.  Following this trip to the other side of the world I was looking forward to returning home and celebrating the Fall and Winter holidays, a family Christmas, and a happy 2020.  My family and myself were all in good health and two new grandchildren were on the way to joining our family.  Hubby and I were enjoying our retirement as well as making plans for a cruise vacation and future travel together.  You could say I was literally on top of the world as I flew over Alaska and Russia on my way to Japan.  My path looked straight and clear.

Overjoyed to be with my daughter and her family in Japan, we reconnected as we awaited the birth of her fifth child and my ninth grandchild.  With the birth of a beautiful healthy baby in early October we were overjoyed.  Two days later our joy was dampened, for while celebrating my birthday we received news that my mother had suffered a serious brain bleed and was not expected to survive.  And thus our grieving as a family, residing in three countries, began, and my path changed unexpectedly.  I headed home early away from my daughter and her hubby, the sweet new baby and his four darling siblings, totally missing my vacation time planned in Thailand and Vietnam with my son and his family.  I arrived home after my mother had passed but in time to plan her funeral and host out of town family. The following week I was present as she was laid to her rest during a trip for Hubby and me to her burial place next to my dad.  Several days after our return, on October 31st an early snow covered our Midwestern town and perhaps we could have seen the unusual snowfall as a reminder that nothing is for certain and anything can happen.  The path, so filled with hope and promise in September, had been rocky indeed.

2020 arrived with all the hope each new year brings.  I celebrated New Year's Day at home with three of my children and their families before taking my son to the airport the following day.  He and his family flew home to Thailand and I looked forward to seeing them later in the year when they returned for their annual visit.  Of course now we know that being together again remains unknown.  The world is a different place and circumstances and travel restrictions have changed for everyone.  

As 2020 continued we all soon began the terrifying slide down the analogous mountainside.  For me, even before Covid-19 had spread to the entire USA, I faced an emergent illness and hospital stay, a cancer scare and surgical procedure and the death of my dear aunt, who was laid to rest in February. Shortly thereafter the shutdown began. 

Six months ago, on March 14th, Hubby and I went shopping in a store, got a haircut and picked up food from Applebees.  That's the last time we have done any of those things.  Other than necessary doctor and dental appointments, we have sheltered in place with time for local family visits planned in advance with all involved cooperating with social distancing.  This is our personal choice and we respect that others have made different choices.  Our new normal includes shopping online, picking up groceries in the trunk of our vehicle and experimenting with home haircuts.  With avoiding restaurants and fast food venues, we have learned that cooking and baking at home has many benefits.  Our love of going to the theater and the movies has been temporarily satisfied via cable tv.  We worship online with our church family in Florida.  I have taken up an old hobby and found fulfillment in giving to others.  Not being able to go to the fitness center, Hubby enjoys his walks around the neighborhood where he spreads his distanced cheer to everyone he meets.

Remarkably we have done very well during these six months.   We have found joy in celebrating the birth of our tenth grandchild, attending the birthday parade for our four-year-old grandson, socially distancing at the Sweet Sixteen birthday of our oldest grandchild and celebrating our Fiftieth Wedding Anniversary with a drive by party.  Each of these occasions, although different than originally planned, was filled with joy and thanksgiving.  The times we could be together with family here have been truly happy times.  Although we realize nothing is normal, and once in a while our gatherings are bittersweet as we realize life as we knew it has changed and we long for the days before Covid and wonder when things will be normal again.

Thus we have learned that our life path in 2020 is challenging. This six months of slipping down the mountainside have not been all rosy and joy-filled.  We have seen neighbors struggle through Covid and recently had a scare of our own.  Hubby has had a recent hospitalization and new diagnosis.  We have learned to deeply appreciate the essential hospital workers in our time of need.  We attended the burial of our son-in-law's father while not feeling we could attend the indoor events.  We have grieved with others while not being able to attend memorial services.  We have prayed for a friend recently diagnosed with returning cancer and we pray for a cousin on Hospice.  We have cried at the deaths and illnesses of so many people here and around the world.  Having children in three countries, we have prayed mightily for each person's safe-keeping as well as for our friends and families in many areas.  We prayed as our daughter gave birth in the Spring during the height of the coronavirus pandemic in Chicago and were sad when we could only see our new granddaughter through glass when she came home from the birthing center.  We prayed too as six of our grandchildren in three different countries recently returned to school during a pandemic and as our daughter and son-in-law return to teaching as well.  There have been many challenges for each of us as I know there has been for each of you.    

Although we have been in our home for much of the time, we are well aware of the political climate and the divisiveness in this country and are deeply saddened by it. The Black Lives Matter cause has certainly been on our hearts and minds as well, as it directly impacts our family, and as it challenges our personal thoughts and actions.  We have seen long-standing friendships and family relationships challenged in light of so many issues in our world. We have seen truth marginalized and no cohesiveness of thought in our local community or our country. Instead of coming together in difficult times, relationships have been torn apart.  There has been much to deal with and to consider during 2020 and much to pray about indeed!  Who had any idea the 2020 path would be so filled with pitfalls?

Yes, I am still clinging on as I work to stay on my path.  I have learned many things:  Virtual hugs do not feel the same, but poignantly mean the same.  Don't take anything or anyone for granted.  Respect for each other is more important than ever.  Encouragement means so much.  My ideas may be different than yours but that doesn't mean they are wrong.  The sun still rises and sets each day.  God still sits on His throne and Jesus still lives in my heart.  Family and friendships are still the most precious gifts we have and relationships need to be cherished and cultivated.  Kindness matters and can be expressed digitally as well as in person.  Safety and security matters to everyone.  Journalistic integrity still matters.  Science still matters. Actions still matters.  Faith still matters.  Babies are still being born and people are still dying.  We have a finite time on this planet.  Hate, fear and lies are not beneficial.  Truth and facts matter.  Caring for and working towards the common good still matters.  So many lessons and thoughts as I reflect!

As far as I've gone in one year, I am amazed at the strength I still have in spite of the slips, falls, missteps, mistakes, illnesses, joys and sorrow I have encountered.  I am a different person this September than last September and hopefully a better one.  So many days of this path seemed difficult but wow, what character they have built in me.  I was so weak some days, but God saw me through.  Whether I was weak or strong, sad or happy, anxious or in peace He remained the same, and thus my journey continues knowing this to be true.  I walk forward and hope that my response to my journey in some way uplifts you as you travel along.  As I have said for many years to strangers and friends alike, "We're all in this together."

The path of 2020 had a beginning and will have an end.  On December, 31st we will reach the end of this path and at midnight I believe we will all rejoice that it is over.  No doubt we will feel like we have completed a marathon.  We will begin a yet unknown 2021.  Hopefully we enter it just a little wiser and a whole lot stronger, remembering the many life lessons we are learning this year.  We each can build on what we have learned about ourselves, about our families, about the society we live in and perhaps societies that seem foreign to us, and about the planet we share.  May we bring our best selves into the future as we reflect on the lessons we have incorporated along the way.  

May joy and peace, wisdom and hope, patience and gratitude, faith and love, along with sweetness and harmony be yours wherever your path leads.









No comments:

Post a Comment