Monday, January 19, 2009

Dreams



"I have a dream!"

Celebrating Dr. King's birthday has never been a high priority for me. However, this year as I analyze things, I have finally figured out that his dream is important not only to all in the black community, but indeed to all Americans everywhere...myself included.

I was in grade school when he delivered his "I have a dream speech" and in college when he was assasinated. I remember feeling very sad at his death, grieving with his wife and children as the funeral events were presented on my television, but unlike the youth of today who dive right into politics, I had little response to Dr. King's vision after a short passage of time.


Perhaps this year the "race issue" has become more real to me....perhaps....because...as of tomorrow I will have a new biracial president and in April I will have a new biracial grandson. Now that makes an impact on my life like nothing has before, in regard to this subject.


Remembering in 1991 our visit to the birth home of Dr. King, and the memorial where he is buried, I must say that I was deeply moved as I usually am when visiting historical places. My children and I posed in front of the house as Mr. Jorie took our picture. At least I was wise enough to have my children see and feel, with some intensity, that this little neighborhood in Atlanta was worth remembering.


So I was moved by Dr. King, first at the time of his assasination, secondly on our trip to Atlanta, and now, in light of my recognition of Barack and Grnadchild#2, I will always be changed, broadened, wiser and even more intelligent than before.


As I stood in Grant Park on election night 08, I felt that I was indeed part of a history-making event unlike anything I had previously experienced. I, along with thousands--even Oprah--looked and listened and above all HOPED that indeed we were sharing the vision Dr. King had inspired in us and that Barack Obama was fulfilling.

Don't get me wrong....for me this is not only about race...for I have learned when I touch my Nigerian son-in-law's hand that his skin feels just like mine...but the events I have seen in my lifetime will forever change the course of history. Now people of all races will have better opportunities because the walls that held us back are now opened as Obama takes office. It is now more likely that a woman or a Hispanic or anyone at all will have more chances of rising to their potential than they would have at any other point of history.

I am glad that Dr. King had his dream, but more importantly, that he shared it with the world. When I hold my grandson for the first time I have no doubt that his baby skin and baby hair will be absolutely beautiful, and even more importantly, he will have a skys-the-limit future in front of him.


Thanks Martin...I'm glad to have finally met you.

No comments:

Post a Comment