Friday, March 27, 2009

Pride



Excitement, bringing out the child in me, brightened the cool November evening as my husband and I found ourselves taking our four-year-old granddaughter to the Ringling Brothers circus at the United Center. The pre-show was exciting as families streamed into the arena with popcorn, sno-cones or cotton candy in hand. As I waited for the show to begin, I thought to myself, "What could be more American than the excitement that ensues when the circus comes to town?"


At last, the ringmaster entered the center ring and asked the audience to stand to sing the national anthem. The three of us stood, and Elli observed her Bampa and Gwamma sing while most of the folks around us remained seated. As I glanced about, I was truly in shock. This melting pot called Chicago...who had just days before had the great opportunity to vote...who could now watch a peaceful transfer of power...who enjoy the fruits of freedom in their lives that this country offers...who know that young Americans are in foreign lands laying their lives on the line...who are blessed to have the means to bring their children to this venue...this melting pot of folks chose not to stand up and sing OUR National Anthem.


The show was amazing. Our granddaughter loved it and we loved watching her. I left, however, feeling just a bit saddened and disillusioned. The Greatest Show on Earth had concluded, and the crowds who live in The Greatest Country on Earth departed. Their children, having the privilege of one day becoming president, had watched their parents and grandparents, who did not stand up--

--an opportunity lost forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment