Thursday, March 26, 2009

Willingness

My friend Ron is in the lawn chair. 1981



Friends are the people in our lives whom we choose to love.


The love between us is unconditional.


A true friend understands the essence of what makes us who we are.


Speaking and listening between friends is comfortable and safe.




I was suffering through my third miscarriage. When I say suffering, I mean the emotional pain of glad expectation, lost in a heartbeat. My friend and his wife were visiting us to give their love and support.




I was indeed having a pity party as we set in the family room together, when I sadly exclaimed, "I will never be the same again."




Thoughtfully Ron asked me, "Do you think that's all bad?"




I pondered his response, which was given in love.



I was stunned. Then my soul quieted.


I was rescued from my grief by one perfect simple question.


I was reminded once again to rest in God when nothing made sense.


In time I realized that my losses would prepare me to reach out to others who were in need.




No, I will never be the same. I believed it in 1982 and I believe it today.




Unexpected change can be a very good thing, if we can pull ourselves out of the darkness that life can send, into the real world again.




I'm glad that we never stop growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment