Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Satisfaction



The tray of cupcakes on the table was almost too much excitement for four-year-old Elli. With several treats within reach, she had her eye on the prize--the one and only cupcake on the top.



Why was that cupcake so important? Why--because it was out of reach. Why--because its importance to Elli had to do with the concept of wanting something just out of reach. Why--because, once obtained, it would bring more happiness than any other cupcake because it was longed for. (Well maybe that theory is true or maybe not.)



In the past, I have been an avid collector. Now I have a lot of things. I have dolls. I have Christmas ornaments. I even have Easter ornaments. I have so many items, that storing them is a problem.



Small 8" Madame Alexander dolls are my favorite collectibles. Exquisite in detail, I still get a thrill when I see a new one for the first time. However, time has taught me that wanting a specific doll can be very exciting, but once acquired, the doll has lost it's charm to a great degree because now I possess it. The fun was in the wanting.



Now that I am at an age to have gained a bit of wisdom, I have realized a great truth. Although longing for things may be exciting as the anticipation builds and builds, obtaining the object brings only momentary satisfaction, potentially leaving an empty feeling of disappointment as the yearning is over. It may also leave a person looking for the next thing that will make them happy. In my case, that would be the next doll.



I believe my cupcake theory to be true. I have wanted the prize many times, only to be let down once I possess the thing I was longing for. Please don't get me wrong. I still enjoy my doll collection, as I am certain that Elli enjoyed her cupcake. I am happy though that after all of these years, I am able to put "things" into perspective.
I have learned that the best things in life aren't things.

No comments:

Post a Comment