Monday, July 18, 2016

Condescending

Don't call me Honey.  Don't call me Sweetheart.  Unless you are a member of my family please don't call me this type of name.  Now you ask, who calls you names like that and I tell you I am speaking about members of the medical profession.  For some unknown reason, I am more and more frequently called such personal names by people I don't know and I'm tired of it.

Today as a first-time patient in an infusion center in my local hospital I was approached by a nurse who was not much younger than myself who said, "How are you today Honey?"  I almost corrected her, but thought that would only set us off on the wrong foot so I kept silent.  Instead I fumed silently.  Her over-familiarity served only to put me on edge and so my blog gets to hear my complaints tonight.

When a stranger calls me Sweetheart or Honey or any such name, it makes me feel old and it makes me feel like a child all at the same time.  Actually, I would much prefer to be called by my name and treated like a fully competent adult. These names do not serve to put me at ease or make the medical procedure I am facing any easier.

So to all you dear friends who work in the medical profession I appreciate immensely the work you do.  However, please think twice before you use familiar names with people you don't know.  Or at least, think twice before you use them with me.

Okay, I feel better now!  



No comments:

Post a Comment