Thursday, July 28, 2016

Grandmother

Almost twelve years have gone by since I became a grandmother.  My Elli girl will celebrate her birthday in just three weeks.  I remember the day she was born as if it were yesterday.  My joy at her arrival was almost surreal.  The next generation had become a reality and I took my rightful place as her happy, fulfilled and involved grandma.

Always having loved babies and young children it was an easy and joy-filled transition to grandmotherhood.  In fact my life path had led to this moment.  It had included teaching first grade, operating a home daycare and raising four children of my own.  Elli and I bonded immediately as this beautiful blue-eyed baby girl stole my heart.  Fortunately for me, she has not yet reached that time in life where spending time with grandma isn't cool. She still loves our times together and maybe will never go through a stage where she doesn't.  For now I bask in that sweet place she always sees me in and relish each conversation and activity we find ourselves in together.

Almost five years passed before another special child came into my life.  Elijah's birth, which I attended, was another incredible life moment.  My first grandson had entered the world and I was right there to greet him!  Now a sometimes serious, sometimes silly seven-year-old, he too still loves time with grandma. Unfortunately we don't live near each other anymore but nonetheless our bond is beautiful and time together is cherished and always mutually enjoyed.

Then came the years where babies abounded!  One after another in quick succession each of our four children produced offspring.  Less than two years apart Elisha and Elizabeth arrived to make Elijah a big brother.  Between those births, Megan made Elli a big sister.  Also during this time came the firstborn sons of our oldest and youngest children.  Michael and Wesley entered our lives and hearts.  Each birth was so special.  I attended the births of Megan and Wesley and in awe counted my blessings while seeing each of my daughters give birth.

Not only did the babies come quickly during the past four years, but each one, beautiful and unique stole their grandma's heart.  Now seven little darlings call me their grandma and I am over the moon happy to be there for each one.  I cherish these children.  They are so very precious.  I delight in them.  And yes, whether they live near or far away, I love them more than I could have ever imagined.

Each individual, unique in all the world.  Their little personalities shining through to delight this grandma and grandpa and their parents, our children.  I wonder what each child will become.  What will they see in their lifetime?  What will be their gifts to the world?  Who are the people each of these children will touch and influence?  It's truly amazing to ponder the potential and impact they may have.

About ten days ago we were informed that another little baby is on the way into our lives. Our eighth grandchild is due to arrive in January.  Wow, when this child arrives, we will have six grandchildren ages four and under!  Unbelievable! Another soul in the universe who in some sense belongs to us.  Awesome! Amazing! Incredible! Such a blessing for hubby and me and for all the world!

I was asked by one of my children recently which grandchild would be my favorite.  Wow, that answer was so easy.  This grandma's heart has no favorites. My love is boundless and free-flowing to each precious child.  Could I begin to compare blue eyes to brown eyes, or black curly hair to blond locks?  Never, for each is as beautiful as I ever could have imagined children could be.  Could I compare cleverness and cuteness?  Impossible, for each little person carries many traits that this grandma finds amazing, unpredictable and darling.  I can say that I truly delight in each of the seven children that came into my life like beautiful gifts.  Like jewels on a necklace, each as precious as the next.  No, there are no favorites in this heart.  Be assured dear children of mine, that no matter how many grandchildren you provide me with, they will all be cherished and loved unconditionally by this grandma.  That's the way love is.  But of course, you already knew that.

Hubby and I will soon celebrate 46 years of marriage.  As a young and happy bride I never could have imagined where our love would take us.  The journey we have walked together has had a few bumps but mostly has been blessed in so many ways.  Love for each other blossomed into love for our four beautiful children and the spouses they have chosen.  And now love, with an energy all of it's own, blossoms again as each baby is added to our family.  

And so now the bud of joy and anticipation, filled with love, waits once again for January to arrive when God will bless us with another child who will be special in all of the world to this grandma.  I pray for the safe development and arrival of this child.  I pray also for: #1, #1, #1, #1, #1, #1 and #1 who I have already cherished since the day each was born.  Yes, of course, every child is #1 in my heart and nothing will ever change the depth of my love for each of them and for each of their parents.

Filled with love, I hold little hands whenever I can.  Every day I hold eight little hearts in my heart.  Precious grandchildren of mine always know your grandma finds joy each day because you are in my life.






No comments:

Post a Comment