Monday, July 4, 2016

Fullness



Love came round one foggy night in May and brought a beautiful baby boy into my world. Just look at that little face!  I took the photo while holding him for the very first time and still find so much joy remembering that night...the night I met Wesley Paul, my seventh grandchild.

The first child of my youngest daughter was welcomed by so many family members. Family on both sides eagerly celebrated the announcement of his anticipated birth, shortly after his parent's cruise vacation.  We all celebrated the announcement that the child was male and then a few weeks later we celebrated when we knew the name his parents had selected for him.  Two beautiful baby showers provided more diapers and clothing than one child could ever use.  Nine months of wishing and hoping and praying that all would go well when the time came for his birth were spent in eager anticipation. 

The weeks prior to his birth found Hubby and me in the midst of a major life change. Having sold our Florida home, packed up all of our belongings, we headed home to Illinois to begin a major remodeling project.  It was a stressful time of our own doing but it became a special time also for us to spend with our daughter, Wesley's almost full-term mommy.  The days came and went and a lot of quality moments remain in our hearts in spite of the physical chaos around us.  The day prior to his birth, the three of us put together a fireplace cabinet.  The pregnant mommy and her dad worked together to accomplish the task while I read the directions.  It was one of those moments we will undoubtedly always remember.

My daughter had asked me to be present at the birth of her child.  I was overwhelmingly grateful for this opportunity and will forever cherish that day in May when I was present to witness the glorious natural unmedicated childbirth of this precious healthy baby boy.  

The day began with me driving my girl through rainy rush hour traffic to a scheduled prenatal visit at her midwife's office typically one hour away.  On this day, it took over two hours due to congested Chicago traffic.  Every five minutes, on the 5's and on the 0's, Wesley's mommy had a contraction.  It was an exciting drive as I was sure she was in actual labor.  Once at the office we received the anticipated news that she was dilated to four centimeters.  We were told to go get lunch and walk at the mall and so we did.

Amazingly the world kept spinning and shoppers kept shopping as we walked around the suburban mall fully aware that the birth of our darling child was imminent.  The intensity of my daughter's contractions increased and after Wesley's daddy arrived the three of us continued our vigil.  No doubt we garnered a bit of attention from other mall-goers.  By mid-afternoon it was decided that we should head to the hospital, probably much to the relief of mall security.

The hours from three to eleven thirty, when Wesley was born, will always seem like a special dream to me.  I witnessed the beauty of normal healthy labor managed by a husband and wife, devoted to each other and the path of natural childbirth they had chosen.  It was amazing and beautiful to witness and will always remain as a highlight of my life.  To Wesley's mommy and daddy, I say thank you for allowing me to share in this sacred time.  You were awesome together in bringing your child into the world!

Since that day, eight weeks ago, we have shared much more.  The early home from the hospital days seem a blur as decisions were made and new parents became "hands on" parents.  Extended family have come and gone for a family reunion.  Breastfeeding and walks in the stroller are becoming routine as the new little family of three learns about all the give and take of welcoming a new tiny member into their household.

This grandma, in spite of all that's going on in my personal life, basks in the beauty and fullness of the circle of life.  Each child, an extension of the families from which it comes, adds so much to the world. Bringing the heritage and legacy of his ancestors, he faces the world and with the loving help and guidance of his parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles he becomes the person he is meant to be. 

And so I look forward with joy and anticipation to see what Wesley Paul will become in this world and I pray that life will be loving and gentle to him now when he is so small.  I also pray for the world that it will become more loving and gentle as well.  Blessings little boy as you grow and learn. I hope you always know that Grandma's arms will be open and waiting for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment